On April 23, 1953 at 3:00 in the afternoon the Hilltop Community Church of Christ was planted and its first services were held at 406 E. Grand, a rented lodge at the time. After several years of steady growth the church purchased its own property, erected the building, and began meeting at 717 E. Grand where they worshipped for the next 50 years. In 2003, because of continued growth in membership, the church had to find a larger meeting place and began worshipping at the El Segundo Middle School on Center Street.
The building, that we now call the Hilltop Ministry Center, at 717 E. Grand is still owned by the church and used for a full time daycare, offices, Bible Studies, and various events and Life Groups.
One thing people quickly notice about the Hilltop Church is that it is made up of people from all different walks of life and cultural backgrounds. The socioeconomic diversity includes people who are right off the street to well established families, people who are illiterate to P.H.D.'s, people who are single, divorced, recovering, and searching. Hilltop has members from all types of Christian backgrounds including Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Jewish, and all sorts of Judeo-Christian heritages.
The Hilltop Church is thankful that many in attendance do not yet have a relationship with Jesus Christ, but they are a part of this family and we are all growing closer to God and each other on our journey of faith. As our mission states, "We accept people where they are, while together we are helping each other accept where God wants us to be". We are a Christ-centered, Bible-believing, prayer-dependent, community of believers that loves God, loves each other, and loves those who don't yet know Jesus.